Day 1: The Quiet

6:00 PM, Posted by SivartM, No Comment

So, today is my first day without music (see last post). I’m already missing it badly. Not so badly that I’d listen to country music if it was the only thing available, of course. I’ve decided on some further rules, so here is the updated list:

  1. Do not listen to music.
  2. Do not go anywhere where you know music will be played, and if you are around music, if possible, leave.
  3. Do not sing or hum.
  4. If someone in the room next to you is playing music loudly while you are trying to sleep, it does not count.
  5. No television, radio dramas, or anything like that, unless you skip the musical parts (a.k.a. all of it).
  6. No recorded soundscapes (like http://www.rainymood.com).

I’ve deleted my shortcuts and bookmarks to music players so that I’m not tempted to click them out of habit. So far my earworms (see last post for definition) have been really random. They aren’t as intense as when I’ve listened to music in the last few hours.

Right now the silence is distracting (as compared to earlier today, when it was irritating). As long as I can finish this paper that’s due tomorrow, I’ll be fine!

No Comment